Yeah, People Spend Money on Bird Stuff
feed the birds and watch wildlife
in their own backyards
spent annually on bird feeding
and watching wildlife
spent annually on bird seed
and wildlife food
Click here for more bird feeding hobby statistics.
People also spend:
$960 million annually on bird feeders, bird baths and nesting boxes
$1.8 billion annually on binoculars and spotting scopes
These statistics are according to the 2016 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife Associated Recreation, preliminary report. This survey is conducted every five years.
Each WBU store functions as a true community resource, providing valuable knowledge about the bird feeding hobby and an exceptional shopping experience. We’ll teach you how to help your customers turn their yards into a bird feeding habitat that not only brings song, color and life to their lives, but also benefits the wild birds and the environment.
Rated #2 Overall
We Support You… All the Way
- Rated #1 in Retail for Franchisee Satisfaction
- Rated #2 Overall for Franchisee Satisfaction
- Proven, 35+ year business model
- Our pre-opening support covers business planning, site selection, lease negotiations, classroom and in-store training, store design and layout
- Our on-going support includes marketing, merchandising and purchasing, store operations, nature and hobby education, financial and information systems
- Strong customer loyalty by providing an exceptional customer experience and the highest quality bird food and bird feeding products in the industry
- Many US and Canadian markets are still available for development
Wild Birds Unlimited History
In 1981, Jim Carpenter, our founder and CEO, had a dream. Jim loved the hobby of bird feeding and loved the idea of controlling his own destiny by owning his own business. Jim’s entrepreneurial spirit came naturally; his grandparents had owned a small chain of “Five and Dime” retail stores in Indiana. So, with a big dream and small inheritance, Jim opened the first Wild Birds Unlimited store in Indianapolis, IN. Jim was confident that if he had the best bird feeding products, delivered the finest customer experience and focused on enhancing his customers’ lives by providing them the best way to enjoy the backyard bird feeding hobby, he was sure to succeed. These foundations have not changed over the past 35 years.