The great outdoors can provide many benefits for you regarding overall well-being. Experts say being in nature can boost mental health, improve your mood and help ease stress, depression and anxiety, creating a sense of calm. In addition to the mental advantages, outdoor recreation is a fantastic way to improve physical health, from strengthening the immune system to promoting better sleep. Engaging in outdoor activities offers holistic benefits, invigorating the mind, body, and soul. If you’re an entrepreneur looking for a business idea, and you enjoy spending time in the great outdoors, those two worlds can intersect with an outdoor recreation franchise.
Economics of the Outdoor Industry
Figures indicate that recreation franchises can be a lucrative venture. According to the Outdoor Industry Association, outdoor recreation is responsible for generating $887 billion in consumer spending annually. With such a vast economic footprint, it’s clear that the industry is booming, with great potential for investors. If you’re looking for outdoor recreation franchise ideas, here are a few to consider:
- Outdoor tourism – If you’re looking to share your love of travel and exploration, consider a business that sponsors outdoor specific vacations. This might include guided trips across various landscapes, ensuring participants have an immersive outdoor experience. Think about the possibilities; you could offer a variety of fun vacation packages that include activities like hiking, kayaking, glamping, biking, skiing and boating.
- Outdoor recreation stores – Retail is a powerful sector when looking at outdoor recreation franchises. As a store owner, you can provide camping, fishing, and hunting gear to enthusiasts–satisfying consumer demand in an active industry.
- Wilderness vacations – Delve into the hospitality side of outdoor recreation. Offer cabin rentals, camping grounds, and various outdoor activities for families and groups. As a franchisee, you’d be ensuring guests have memorable experiences amidst nature.
- Landscaping business – Beautify the exterior of homes, neighborhoods and businesses by offering services that may include lawn maintenance, hardscapes, and planting.
- Boat clubs – With a rise in water-based activities, boat club franchises are becoming increasingly popular. Boat clubs allow members access to a range of boats without the hassle of ownership. As a franchisee, you’ll cater to both fishing enthusiasts and leisure seekers.
- Pedal party bikes – Blend fitness, recreation, and socializing with this franchise concept. You could offer party bike tours, a unique experience for groups to explore cities while pedaling together.
- Food trucks – Combining your love of the outdoors with cooking, consider being part of a restaurant franchise by owning a food truck. As a mobile quick service restaurant, you can capitalize on outdoor venues where people gather like concerts, festivals and parties.
- Outdoor Fitness – Riding the fitness wave, there are outdoor fitness programs and boot camp franchises that help people stay in shape—in nature. From weight loss to strength training, these camps cater to various fitness goals, all while ensuring participants enjoy a natural setting.
As you consider these options, it’s pivotal to align your choice with your personal passion and understanding of the competition and level of demand in your local market. As you consider becoming the owner of an outdoor recreation franchise, do your homework. Study a franchise’s business model, looking for economic growth, training and support provided, and marketing efforts; all factors that will advance your business. Part of your due diligence should include speaking with other franchise owners to gain perspective about their franchise experience.
Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Franchise
If you’re looking for a franchise that allows you to combine your love of nature in a retail setting, Wild Birds Unlimited is an award-winning franchise that has been in business for over 40 years and has more than 350 North American locations. We’ve been recognized for our outstanding customer service and our excellence in franchising.
We understood long ago that people love the tranquility of nature and get great enjoyment from bird watching and feeding, so we developed our model to provide top-notch service and high-quality products that have earned us the trust of our customers and a reputable name in a niche industry that brings people and nature together.
If you want to learn more about joining our flock, inquire today and our team will be in touch.